Lawrence Sheriff School
Improving student experiences with a sustainable build for future generations
139 Solar PV’s
Highly insulated & airtight
Structural timber solution
About the project
First established in 1878, Lawrence Sheriff School is a boys’ grammar school and co-educational sixth form with a strong heritage in delivering a first-class education to local students, aged 11 to 18.
Each year, the school receives a wealth of high-quality applications from prospective students, and it needed to expand its teaching capacity to meet rising demand and facilitate more students’ educations, while maintaining these high standards.
Completed in December 2021, the 346m2 expansion project offered a low carbon, sustainable, high-performance solution, boosting the school’s capacity to deliver a high-quality education for generations to come.
Seamlessly integrating with the existing building
With such a long and prestigious heritage, it was important that any building work complemented the school’s existing environment. To achieve this, Net Zero Buildings designed the expansion with a blend of cedar-clad and brick façades.
A fit-for-purpose, low carbon, sustainable space
Designed with sustainability at its core, the Lawrence Sheriff School expansion project included:
- 139 no PV solar roof panels – so it can generate its own, clean energy, increasing sustainability while reducing overall energy costs
- Highly-insulated and air-tight façades, achieved with a structural timber panel solution, coupled with the use of internal ventilation using mechanical heat recovery units, to enhance the building’s energy efficiency
The sustainable expansion offers Lawrence Sheriff School the additional, high-quality space it needs. It includes:
- Additional science classrooms
- An activity studio
- Ancillary support facilities
- A new dining room, which brings the school community into the core of the new building.
Dan Allison, Director, net zero buildings
It was incredibly exciting to be a part of the sustainable expansion project at Lawrence Sheriff School. The school prides itself on offering a first-class education to its students, and Net Zero Buildings was privileged to create and deliver the space it needs.
By manufacturing the Lawrence Sheriff expansion offsite, we were able to minimise carbon emissions and maximise energy efficiency throughout the project, improving its environmental impact for generations to come.